The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the largest and fastest growing in North America with over 2.1 million members. SEIU-West is the second largest SEIU Local in Canada, and represents more than 13,000 working people in the province of Saskatchewan. They work in health care, education, municipalities, community-based organizations, retirement homes and the private sector.
Department: Contract Bargaining & Enforcement (South Location)
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Salary information: The salary range is $84,907.74 to $98,121.52 per annum pro-rated (Field Staff 4).
Essential Nature of the Work:
Reporting to the Director of Contract Bargaining & Enforcement, the Collective Agreement Negotiation Officer will act as the chief spokesperson for the union and be responsible for collective agreement contract negotiations at designated tables. The incumbent will research current and relevant bargaining trends, identify member bargaining issues and provide support and communication to SEIU- West bargaining committee members and staff. The incumbent will work with internal stakeholders and external partners to develop common standards and successful strategies related to negotiations. The incumbent may be expected to interact with other unions and members of the labour community regarding the identification of common issues, developments and strategies with respect to public sector bargaining. The incumbent will provide education and training support to staff and members in local union programs about collective agreement research and negotiations, and the union’s obligations.
Required Qualifications & Abilities:
- University degree in labour relations or law, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Advanced knowledge of relevant provincial legislation and ability to interpret collective agreement language;
- Minimum of three years of demonstrated previous experience in labour relations where the primary roles were preparing collective bargaining proposals and presenting as chief spokesperson in collective agreement negotiations;
- Ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with other SEIU-West staff, exercise good judgement and initiative, and manage shifting priorities;
- Ability to educate union members and staff on collective bargaining issues and effective negotiation strategies;
- Ability to effectively work independently or as a team member, in sometimes stressful environments.
- Excellent group and interpersonal communications and management skills;
- Excellent research, organizational, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Proficiency in computer use;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, as required;
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle, as travel will be required;
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. July 4, 2021 to:
Director of Contract Bargaining & Enforcement
#200 – 747 46th Street West Saskatoon, SK S7L 6A1 Fax: 306.652.1392
E-mail: [email protected]