The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members, uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of five locals in Canada and is dedicated to representing over 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Department: Political Action and Education (Saskatoon Location)
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Essential Nature of the Work:
Responsible for the activities of the Political Action and Education Department and staff, the Director oversees the planning and assignment of department projects for member education; research requests and reports; Union member outreach and action strategies; organization communications (internal and external); and government relations. The incumbent will provide strategic advice and guidance to ensure effectiveness and quality control of the delivery of union-wide programs and campaigns. In addition to overall supervision of the work of the department, the incumbent is part of the leadership team comprised of other department Directors and elected officers which provides strategic advice within the SEIU-West leadership structures.
- University degree with a major in Human Resources, Public Relations, Law or Political Studies or and related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of three years demonstrated previous experience in labour relations where the primary roles were labour and political action research, policy development and communications/public relations;
- Minimum of three years demonstrated previous experience in direction and supervision of professional staff;
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to develop and oversee department budget;
- Perform a leadership role in the development of the Union’s strategic plans and goals; operationalizes the strategic plan;
- Represent SEIU in external forums as required, and maintains relationships with Canadian and International labour bodies, outside consultants, academics, social and community activities and other union allies in support of SEIU-West campaigns;
- Must have skills to develop working relationships with employers, government and all other groups associated with unions;
- Ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with other SEIU staff, exercise good judgement and exercise initiative;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including excellent group and interpersonal communications/people skills with strong active listening skills;
- Must have excellent organizational skills, demonstrating careful attention to detail;
- Must have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established timelines;
- Must have advanced skills in the use of computers and other office equipment;
- Ability to use social media applications.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours as needed.
Terms and Conditions: Terms and conditions of employment to be determined upon commencement of employment.
Anticipated Appointment Date: August 2021.
Closing date for applications: July 2, 2021 – 5pm
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to:
Barbara Cape - President
#200 747 46th St. W.
Email: [email protected]