The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of three locals in Canada and is dedicated to serving the needs of nearly 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Department: Political Action & Education (Saskatoon location)
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: The salary range is $80,847.53 to $93,429.43 per annum (Field Staff 2).
Essential Nature of the Work: Reporting to the Director of Political Action & Education, the Project Coordinator will facilitate the planning and roll-out stages of assigned campaigns and projects within SEIU-West. Working with the Communications Coordinator, the successful applicant will assist in creating and executing communication plans by researching relevant material and writing powerful and timely pieces. The Project Coordinator will contribute to the development of and manage the online aspects related to campaigns in support of organizing efforts, contract negotiations, and political awareness. The successful candidate will assist SEIU-West in the creation of content for as well as the maintenance and expansion of our social media platforms to ensure a consistent presence that fits with our overall communications goals and strategic campaign delivery. This position will include the creation of digital content including website and social media posts, campaign lit pieces, and visuals. The incumbent will assist, participate, and provide strategic support to member and community mobilizing campaigns. Duties are accomplished in cooperation and consultation with other department staff to ensure the objectives of SEIU-West are met.
- University, College Degree or Diploma in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or Social Sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years demonstrated experience in digital communications, public relations, labour relations, and/or social sciences (including political science or public policy).
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, and on weekends and holidays as required.
- Ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with other SEIU staff, exercise good judgement and manage shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and advocacy.
- Labour, community, or political organizing experience would be an asset.
- Recent and relevant labour sector experience would be an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle, as travel may be required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Proven ability to maintain a social media presence personally or professionally including the ability to leverage social listening tools and analytics with the goal to improve the organizations online reputation and reach.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to present information, prepare website posts, and other campaign materials as required.
- Knowledge and skill in the maintenance of websites and campaign management tools, knowledge of Nation Builder platform would be an asset.
- Knowledge and skill in the design and production of written, visual, and audio-visual communications products using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge and skill in the operation of MS Office software, data management software such as Union Ware, and web-based research tools.
- Ongoing/current knowledge of social, economic, and political issues.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with, and provide support to union leadership, committees, members, other staff, and community partners.
- Ability to educate new and existing members on a broad range of issues pertaining to social justice, trade union rights, responsibilities, and benefits.
- Ability to assist in engaging new and existing members in political and community action.
- Excellent research skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent numerical, statistical database, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent group and interpersonal communications and management skills.
- Motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required.
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Closing date for applications: Friday July 29, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Director of Political Action & Education, SEIU-West
Address: #200 747 46th St. W. Saskatoon, SK S7L 6A1
Email: [email protected]