The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the largest and fastest growing in North America with over 2.1 million members. SEIU-West is the second largest SEIU Local in Canada, and represents more than 13,000 working people in the province of Saskatchewan. They work in health care, education, municipalities, community-based organizations, retirement homes and other sectors.
Department: Operations (Swift Current location)
Status: Temporary Full Time (TFT)
Scope of Hours: This position will be required to provide temporary coverage for up to twelve (12) months in the Swift Current office. This position would commence as soon as possible.
Salary information: The hourly rate is $30.81, Step 1 of Operations Staff 3.
Essential nature of the work: Reporting to the Director of Operations, this position is responsible to provide essential financial and administrative expertise and support related to member expenses, honoraria and lost wages, accounts payable and accounts receivable, financial reporting, government remittances, bank reconciliations and other financial needs related to the operations of SEIU-West. The successful applicant may be called upon to assist other staff or to perform some of the duties of other positions in special circumstances. Duties are accomplished in consultation with other staff to ensure the objectives of SEIU-West are met.
- University degree in business, accounting or an office education certificate with five years relevant office experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years of experience with payroll and benefits in an organization with a minimum 20 employees.
- Minimum three years of combined experience in accounting, financial reporting and human resources in an organization with a minimum 20 employees.
- Minimum three years of experience in the application of collective agreement provisions as they relate to union leave, other leaves, required member information, etc.
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle; travel may be required.
- Ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with other SEIU-West staff, exercise good judgement, exercise initiative and manage shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in computer operation, (e.g. Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word), and superior keyboarding skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new software programs, (e.g. UnionWear and Document-Locator).
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to present and effectively communicate information in relation to this position, to union personnel as well as to external contacts.
- Knowledge and ability to use payroll and accounting programs as well as spreadsheet software, (e.g. QuickBooks and Excel).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Recent and relevant labour and trade union experience.
- Knowledge of current and relevant employment legislation and regulations.
- Knowledge of billing practices, procedures, processes and terminology, particularly as it relates to a union workplace.
- Ability to document research, reports, analysis and communications using a computer database.
- Ability to maintain working relationships with leaders, stewards, members and other staff.
- Motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills, and able to work effectively under time pressures with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required.
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently.
- Excellent group and interpersonal skills and ability to problem-solve and apply common sense and technical skills to resolve issues and carry out instructions with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent numerical, analytical and problem solving skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination related to member expenses, honoraria, lost wages and the financial operations of SEIU-West.
- Finance - accounts receivable/accounts payable and journal entries.
- Payroll - processing and remittance and benefits administration.
- Financial reporting and budget assistance.
- Payroll and Government remittances.
- General office duties.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Only successful candidates will receive a confirmation email to attend an interview.
Terms and conditions of employment, including wages, are governed by the applicable collective agreement.
Please apply no later than 17:00hrs (5:00 pm) Friday, October 15th, 2021 to:
Terry Zahorski, Director of Operations, SEIU-West
#200 – 747 46th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7L 6A1
E-mail: [email protected]