The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of three locals in Canada and is dedicated to serving the needs of nearly 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Department: Political Action & Education (Saskatoon location)
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Status: Full-Time, Temporary – 12 month term
Salary: The salary range is $68,329.04 to $78,962.74 per annum (Field Staff 1).
Essential Nature of the Work:
Working under the direction of the Director of Political Action & Education, and under the guidance of the Deputy Director, the Member Engagement Field Worker engages in outreach to SEIU-West members and member leaders to advance ongoing campaigns. The Field position will use engagement tools and resources available within the department including social media, virtual meeting tools and workplace visit to SEIU-West units. The incumbent will assist in training, supporting and mentoring workplace leaders, as required. The successful applicant will ensure that outreach efforts lend to enhanced awareness and success of ongoing campaigns. The Member Engagement Field Worker must be able to work with members, staff and the Executive Board to implement the program set out by SEIU-West. When not assigned to an active member engagement campaign, the incumbent will work with community allies, other staff and members to achieve community organizing goals and build the broader labour movement.
- A sufficient combination of education and experience that is required to complete the duties of the position in an exemplary manner; for example, two years’ experience working within social justice movements;
- Experience working with the Microsoft suite of products, expecially Excel;
- Demonstrated familiarity with labour union politics and history;
- Demonstrated capacity as a leader;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle and ability to pull a trailer as travel is required;
- Experience posting website and social media content;
- Prior experience delivering education and training to adults (both in person and on-line) is preferred;
- Prior experience with event planning, door-knocking and cold-calling in a variety of settings would be an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of provincial labour legislation;
- Ability to involve and motivate members and member leaders:
- Ability to take hands-on approach to the implementation of campaigns to ensure their success;
- Ability to educate member leaders in identifying workplace issues with a problem-solving focus;
- Ability to communicate effectively, including using a variety of tools including but not limited to text messaging, in-person, social media, virtual;
- Ability to utilize social media applications, including Instagram, Facebook & Twitter;
- Motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision;
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required;
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently;
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact, composure and dignity;
- Demonstrated strong intercultural competencies (ability to communicate and work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures);
- Ability to work with an in-house database and web-based programs;
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including weekends and holidays as required.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. March 10, 2021 to:
Director of Political Action & Education
Mail: #200 – 747 46th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7J 6A1
E-mail: [email protected]