July 24 is International Self-Care Day!
Since the pandemic began, it has become more important than ever for each of us to take care of our own physical, mental and emotional health.
For front line workers like our members who are faced with physical, emotional, and physiological stress at work on a regular basis, self-care is something that can be difficult to focus on.
The purpose of self-care is to take an active role in your own well-being.
Here are some ways to practice self-care:
- Eat healthy and mindfully: Allow yourself to indulge in a nourishing meal without any distractions.
- Keep track of your accomplishments: Recognize ways you were productive today, no matter how small.
- Express gratitude: Everyday take note of things that you’re lucky to have.
- Move: Getting active increases feelings of happiness. Find a form of physical activity that works for you. Dancing, hiking, gardening or a bike ride.
- Unplug for a day: Go on a media and technology fast, and turn off any unnecessary electronic devices.
- Mini Meditation: Begin or end your day with a minute of deep breathing, and focused awareness of your body, thoughts, and feelings.
- Sleep: Take a nap, go to bed earlier and give your body some extra rest.