Applications are now open for Unionism 101 – This is a beginner course for members who are not already Shop Stewards or Unit Executive Officers.
ONE DAY ONLINE TRAINING SESSION –
April 13 (Swift Current, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw) and April 14 (Saskatoon and Online)
The SEIU-West Education Department is pleased to invite members to apply for the above-noted one day workshop. We are planning on IN-PERSON training with the understanding that with the unknowns of COVID-19, we may have to pivot online to Zoom.
Objective: Objectives for this one day course are for participants to learn, understand and engage on:
- The basics of unions
- How to Connect with SEIU-West to stay current on union activities;
- Union Myths and facts
- Collective Bargaining Basics
- Union principles
- An introduction to your Union
This one-day course is designed for any member that wants to know about what their union is and what SEIU-West offers to our members. Members must be in good standing.
SEIU-West will cover the costs of 15 participants per session. Expenses will be reimbursed to a maximum of one day lost wages/honorarium. Mileage will be included provided we can provide in person training.
Once approved to attend, if you are scheduled to work, you can ask for a Union Leave – depending on workplaces – they will either pay you directly and we reimburse or we pay you directly – this is not volunteer time.
Deadline to apply has been extended to March 11, 2022. You will be notified via email that you are selected to attend the training in order to book union leave. You will also receive a Zoom link to join the course via email if you selected the online option or if we pivot to online.
Please apply by completing the online application form by March 11th.
If for some reason something comes up after you are registered and you cannot attend, please notify [email protected]
If you are attending in person:
- Please do not attend if you have any COVID symptoms. Call 306-221-2005 to let us know if you unable to attend and we’ll happily put you on the list for the next training session.
- Please come wearing a mask and be prepared to follow COVID Protocols that will be posted. This includes wearing a mask and sitting 6 feet apart for lunch.
- Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions, as we provide lunch.
If you are attending online:
- it is a requirement that you have downloaded the Zoom app onto a lap top/cell phone/computer device with access to a microphone and camera if you are attending online training.
- We highly recommend testing out your skills on Zoom (if you are a new user) with some family/friends prior to the course day. This will ensure you have a more positive online experience.
- Zoom Etiquette 101: while we appreciate that you will have the opportunity to attend this course from the comfort of your home, we do encourage Members to be in a location that has good lighting and very importantly, adhere to a casual, but presentable, dress code…everyone will thank you!